
A job in retail can be difficult assignment (whether it’s because of the customers, or because the barter anguish up arcade online). But these 20 companies got babble reviews from their staff, who acclaim teams that are “like family,” admiring assignment environments, and affluence of opportunities for advancement. For our ceremony baronial of the Best Workplaces in Retail, Fortune accomplice Abundant Abode to Assignment crunched the numbers and surveyed bags of advisers to accompany you this account of the retail workplaces that advisers love.

Number of employees: 47,084Industry vertical: Food/grocery, specialtyHeadquarters: Rochester, N.Y.Number of locations: 122Revenue: $8.5B
Employees say:
"Wegman's is absolutely affable to a assorted citizenry of employees. It makes a concerted accomplishment to apply earlier workers, which is refreshing. There is a aboveboard atmosphere of giving aback to the association throughout the company."
"What I acquisition altered about Wegmans is the constancy of abounding employees' careers. I feel there are not abounding companies area you can alpha as a teenager, abide in college, assignment as an intern in a array of departments, and ultimately accomplish it into a full-time career. Advisers feel safe and satisfied, but still challenged. We additionally accept the adeptness to assignment in a array of roles throughout our careers and we don’t accept to leave the aggregation to do so."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 20,460Industry vertical: Food/groceryHeadquarters: Tulsa, Okla.Number of locations: 779Revenue: $10.2M
Employees say:
"The aggregation is consistently allurement the advisers how to beforehand the aliment and makes changes based on the feedback. This gives advisers the activity that QuikTrip cares about them. QuikTrip takes affliction of the employees, who, in turn, booty affliction of the customers."
"QuikTrip creates a family-like atmosphere amid co-workers bigger than any business I accept anytime seen."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 189,607Industry vertical: Food/groceryHeadquarters: Lakeland, Fla.Number of locations: 1,170Revenue: $34B
Employees say:
"Publix promotes from aural and takes abundant affliction in training employees. There are aerial standards actuality and we’re consistently pushed to do things to the best of our ability."
"I would say the best altered affair about alive at Publix is all the accessible career paths that you can booty in the company. If you do not like the job position or the barn you are alive in, you are actual calmly able to appeal a altered position or drag to addition barn and accumulate your aforementioned position. Added companies accept actual little opportunities to advance, but at Publix, the sky is the limit."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 3,399Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: Richmond, Va.Number of locations: 189Revenue: $364.2M
Employees say:
"This aggregation is alarming to assignment for because you are able to be a allotment of your guest's activity experiences. You get to put the smiles on the faces of grown-ups and accouchement alike."
"Build-A-Bear Workshop absolutely listens to employees. We accommodate account acknowledgment and issues are anchored the best way the aggregation can."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 24,606Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: St. LouisNumber of locations: 281Revenue: $15.8B
Employees say:
"We accept amazing systems in abode to appoint abundant talent, alternation new-hires, and abound tenured employees. CarMax never stops attractive for means to improve, and this holds accurate from how we accept to run our business to how we consistently advance people."
"The atmosphere from top to basal is amazing! From high administration down, anybody strives to accomplish this a abundant abode to work. It is auspicious to see that administration has a audible ambition and plan for us. It is actual bright how the plan allowances us as advisers and our customers. I adulation advancing to work. We are accepted to be ourselves and are apparent as individuals and not aloof a dispensable number."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 1,907Industry vertical: Food/groceryHeadquarters: Woodland, Calif.Number of locations: 19

Employees say:
"This aggregation absolutely pushes accepting fun. As a administrator I get to animate my aggregation to beam and antic with ceremony other. This creates such absolute accordance and absolutely pushes anybody to do that little bit extra."
Story Continues
"We are empowered on day one to booty affliction of our guests. We do not accept to ask permission to alter a artefact or abate an account in adjustment to accomplish a guests need's. We all abide account that we accept to advice accomplish our aggregation better. No bulk who you are, your abstraction is considered, and generally adored if implemented."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 15,765Industry vertical: Food/groceryHeadquarters: Alttona, Pa.Number of locations: 569
Employees say:
"Since I am a academy student, this is a abundant abode for me to work. Sheetz is actual adjustable with my academy schedule. Also, they action charge agreement which is acutely helpful."
"Sheetz shares its profits by giving annual bonuses to all acceptable advisers and by enrolling us into the agent banal buying program. We additionally accept celebrations for advisers like Sheetz Fest for anybody to bless their assignment ceremony and aggregation ceremony parties for advisers and their families."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 12,973Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: Kent, Wash.Number of locations: 159Revenue: $2.6B
Employees say:
"REI engages in conversations about gender and assortment in a way that feels absolutely mission apprenticed rather than absolutely commercial. These conversations are not aloof lip service. The address has taken abounding accomplish to act on those conversations."
"The bulk and accent placed on acclimation assignment and activity at REI is outstanding. The address provides absurd opportunities for bodies to appear calm and get alfresco to do the things we adulation to do. I additionally accede the bulk placed on employees. I accept that every agent has admission to their leaders to accomplish their choir heard. I additionally accept that every agent is advised with account behindhand of their abilities or contributions. The address is an across-the-board abode aloft all abroad and it makes me appreciative to assignment for a aggregation that stands abaft its advisers of all abilities, ages, genders, races, and orientations."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 412Headquarters: Toms River, N.J.Number of locations: 83Revenue: $100M
Employees say:
"Doing the appropriate affair because it is the appropriate affair to do is still important to the company. We’re a aggregation of candor and I’m so appreciative of that. I adulation the association involvement, like alms 5k contest and aliment drives."
"This is a actual professionally-run alignment encompassing many, many, stores. It recognizes ceremony agent as an alone and treats them with account by alert to their ideas."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 30Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: El Dorado Hills, Calif.Number of locations: 1Revenue: $6.5M
Employees say:
"We consistently duke out 'kudos' to coworkers to admit them for annihilation from a absolute attitude to acceptable addition alfresco of their duties. There’s a audible aggregation spirit that continues to affect the organization, alike as we abound so quickly."
"This aggregation makes it fun to appear to work. We’re a actual able aggregation that is accomplished to assignment altogether with one addition through communication. We accept account affairs area we’re abreast of accessible contest and area aggregation associates are accepted for what they’ve done and are entered into a cartoon to win prizes. Administration does an amazing job of befitting anybody involved. Administration additionally absolutely cares about their teams and they consistently do whatever they can to accomplish it the best ambiance possible."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 1,575Industry vertical: ClothingHeadquarters: Fairfax, Va.Number of locations: 7Revenue: $300M

Employees say:
"The aggregation is actual committed to award the appropriate being for the job, not necessarily the being with the best abilities or experience. I’ve never formed for a aggregation that was so affianced in their own values."
"There is a abundant accord of bendability amid vision, values, and practice. In my experience, it’s attenuate that a alive ambiance is so congenial, fun, and productive. Bodies at all levels are bright on what’s accepted from them and how their efforts augment into the broader goals of the company. As such, I’ve additionally begin that association are accommodating to go able-bodied out of their way to advice or to accomplish commodity happen."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 5,637Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: BostonNumber of locations: 18Revenue: $3.1B
Employees say:
"Wayfair allows you to booty risks. You’re encouraged to do so alike if you fail. Anybody is additionally advantaged to their own opinions and ideas. Accuracy is important, acceptance us to be ourselves and assignment at a akin that we're adequate with."
"People are accustomed a amazing bulk of abandon and albatross aboriginal on. From day one, with no above-mentioned experience, I was tasked with developing a new business channel, which seems crazy for an amateur 24-year-old new hire. However, I was accustomed the support, training, and bookish abandon to analysis extensively, and 9 months after this approach is starting to abound into its own. Furthermore, I see lower-level managers, who are additionally in their twenties, in affairs with tenured, middle-aged assembly from accomplice organizations, captivation their own and alike authoritative the conversation. From the start, Wayfair gives us the trust, responsibility, and accoutrement to booty abounding buying of our jobs and our company’s development."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 51,619Industry vertical: ClothingHeadquarters: San FranciscoNumber of locations: 959Revenue: $6.1B
Employees say:
"Empowerment makes us altered in the retail industry. We accede and bless innovators and acquiesce leaders to be business owners. We embrace learnings and advice bodies abound professionally and personally."
"I anticipate Old Navy is a abundant abode to assignment because it is consistently aggravating new things to appoint with our teams. It sends out calendars with altered activities and treats on assertive days. It makes it fun to appear to work. It additionally aloof formed out a acceptance affairs about Old Navy cards. Associates who accommodated assertive milestones get a agenda as a anatomy of recognition. It shows the aggregation that the aggregation appreciates all that they do."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 36,021Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: New York CityNumber of locations: 2,537Revenue: $7.8B
Employees say:
"I accede the honest advice from administration about the company’s goals and how to accomplish them. Anybody is capital to the aggregation behindhand of what they do. Anybody is an asset and a above contributor to the aggregation in their own way."
"I adulation this job because we are challenged non-stop. You accept to accumulate accusation yourself to accomplish abiding that you’re at the top of the account every week. This job is altered because you’re not aloof sitting bottomward 24/7. You’re up and affective around, authoritative abiding your barter leave the affluence accepting had a abundant experience."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 66,554Industry vertical: ClothingHeadquarters: SeattleNumber of locations: 372Revenue: $14.5B
Employees say:
"I accept the bulk of abandon accustomed to us to be able to abetment a chump is a altered affection of my job. This abandon of application our best acumen not alone helps our barter but it helps me abound alone as well."
"I actual abundant adore the abandon that we are accustomed aural the workplace. Although no one is watching over our shoulders, we still accept a achievement accepted that needs to be met. There is an affluence of abutment that can be accustomed if you charge advice in assertive areas. This allows for advance in both claimed and alive life."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 1,423Industry vertical: ClothingHeadquarters: Ventura, Calif.Number of locations: 33Revenue: $950M
Employees say:

"Our ecology and amusing administration increases my pride of alive for such a acknowledged company. I assurance our high administration to amusement us well, amusement the ambiance well, and act as atonement coworkers."
"Patagonia does aggregate with integrity. It is not aloof talk--it is absolutely how this business is run. The aggregation is consistently appetite to beforehand and to do beneath abuse and added good. To assignment for a aggregation with such candor is appealing special."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 35,565Industry vertical: ClothingHeadquarters: Burlington, N.J.Number of locations: 603Revenue: $5.6B
Employees say:
"The abutment from the chief administration aggregation is amazing. Things don’t consistently go the appropriate way, but back a breakdown occurs, administration finds means to abutment us rather than agreement blame."
"You are enabled to do things alfresco the box. I accept a articulation and bodies affliction about me and my contributions. There is a lot of befalling and I accept fun. I could not ask for a bigger abode to work."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 250Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: PhiladelphiaNumber of locations: 3Revenue: $120M
Employees say:
"Revzilla adopts a fun ability while accompanying accouterment abundant advance to accomplish well. As an alternate employee, I feel that I comedy an basic role in the company’s success and that my teammates are appropriately as vital."
"The accurate hiring action RevZilla uses works actual able-bodied to ensure that alone bodies who are an accomplished fit both alone and professionally are hired. You can absolutely calculation on anybody to be competent at their job and to accord their abounding accomplishment in a way that is aberrant in added workplaces. I anticipate the hiring process, additional accepting such bright and heavily-referenced amount values, is the acumen for our success. The amount ethics are additionally able-bodied anticipation out and specific."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 4,185Industry vertical: SpecialtyHeadquarters: Coppell, TexasNumber of locations: 88Revenue: $819.9M
Employees say:
"The accuracy that we allotment with our employees, our customers, our vendors, and alike our competitors is attenuate and honorable."
"I adulation the way that we all affliction about ceremony other. In general, anybody is so invested in ceremony others’ lives. My bedmate still finds it adamantine to accept we all like ceremony added so abundant back he attends affluence parties. They are my ancestors and I adulation it."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
Number of employees: 83,260Industry vertical: Food/groceryHeadquarters: AustinNumber of locations: 539Revenue: $15.7B
Employees say:
"I apperceive I’m activity to apprentice commodity new every day. Not alone do I use my newfound ability at work, I use it at home too. Whole Foods Market creates an upbeat environment, abrogation its advisers adequate back they go home at the end of the day."
"I accede that there is a 18-carat affiliation to the actual association as able-bodied as to allowance those beneath advantageous in the world. The focus on altered foundations gives us a greater faculty of purpose as a aggregation member. I abundantly accede the bodies I assignment with as well. The bodies about me are amazing and it makes advancing to assignment easy. We’re all purpose apprenticed and are accommodating to advice ceremony added back needed."
Read the Abundant Abode to Assignment review.
See aboriginal commodity on Fortune.com
More from Fortune.com






