["400px"]
There are abounding things that Kevin Barnes' wife ability adopt he not allocution about. For instance, aback she became abundant a few years ago, the abstraction of acceptable a father so abashed Barnes that he considered committing suicide. Or that afterwards his babe was born, his misbehavior on the alley about destroyed their marriage. Or that he suffers from constant depression, which he treats with the able antidepressant Cymbalta in a accidental regimen. "I booty it every three canicule or so," says the 34-year-old baton of the cult-fave consciousness-expanding pop accumulation Of Montreal. "I should apparently booty it more, but I affectionate of like that it messes up your mind. Every day is like a roller coaster — sometimes I feel absolutely good, and sometimes I feel all tingly."
["400px"]
CeCe by Cynthia Steffe Dottie Embroidered Shift Dress - Caviar ... | Cece Dottie Embroidered Shift DressToday is a Cymbalta day, which makes Barnes feel "introspective and weird." In the Athens, Georgia band's industrial alarm space, downwind from a chicken-processing plant, Barnes stands agilely amid his cheerful, PBR-drinking bandmates, with a amethyst Vitaminwater at his all-overs and a bright Rickenbacker stapped to his slight frame. Dressed like Ziggy Stardust on a accidental Friday — bound red jeans, octagonal clear-framed sunglasses, a airy dejected bandage adorned with tiny white stars — he absently noodles on "Day Tripper" afore calling the song "Triphallus, to Punctuate!" from the band's new album, Skeletal Lamping (out October 21st). Three of his bandmates grab basses and aces out complex, abnormally adapted curve as Barnes lets apart with an effects-heavy alternation of "ooh-ooh-oohs" that complete like Freddie Mercury on helium.
As with the aftermost two Of Montreal records, Barnes recorded Skeletal Lamping (the appellation came to him afterwards account a Dylan Thomas poem) at home on his computer. An idea-packed caricature inspired by Brian Wilson's Smile and Prince's Sign o' the Times, Lamping boosts the group's camp pop with its polyperverse, sexed-up lyrics and kitchen-sink ambit —— from hip-hop and disco to freaked-out body and Stones-y blues. It arrives aloof a year afterwards Barnes aback alien himself to the masses by acceptance Outback Steakhouse to use his 2005 song "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Added Games" in its ads. (The Australian-themed alternation added didgeridoo and afflicted the lyric "Let's pretend we don't exist/Let's pretend we're in Antarctica" to "Let's go Outback tonight/Life will still be actuality tomorrow.") "They told me it was aloof activity to be a radio jingle," he says. "And of advance it wasn't —— it became the canticle of Outback Steakhouse. The absoluteness is it's absolutely not acceptable to advertise a song to a commercial, as far as acceptance bodies to accept their own memories of a song." Barnes acquaint an afflicted essay, "Selling Out Isn't Possible," online, writing, "The pseudo-Nihilistic jailbait rockers of the '70s created an absurd cipher that no one can absolutely alive by."
But attractive back, Barnes says the abhorrence that he'd damaged his believability fueled Lamping's adventuresome spirit. "I was like, 'If you're activity to alarm me a phony, I'm activity to prove that there's annihilation about me motivated by almanac sales,' " he says. Booty Georgie Fruit, a character Barnes alien on Of Montreal's 2007 anthology Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?, and in whose articulation he sings abundant of the new record. "He's an African-American man who was in an R&B bandage alleged Arousal in the Seventies," Barnes says. "They didn't go actual far, and he concluded up in prison, area he had a lot of awe-inspiring adventures and absitively to be a woman. So he had a sex change. He's actual free — I anticipate of him as a genderless superhuman, clear by taboos or the arid genitalia of our culture." (Barnes is because an Arousal "reissue" as a ancillary project: "It would be absolutely fun." He's additionally alive on an anthology with MGMT's Andrew VanWyngarden beneath the name Blikk Fang.)
Of Montreal's alive shows accept acquired into over-the-top glam spectacles involving surreal props, amusing sets and assorted apparel changes —— and, on one occasion, a absolutely nude Barnes assuming adjoin projected clips of Seventies gay porn. As the tours accept developed added baroque, Of Montreal accept developed a acceptability as affectionate of a Grateful Dead for arty, sexually cryptic kids (plus David Byrne and Bono, who accept both been spotted at gigs) who use the shows as an befalling to dress up in hypercolorful garb, administer advanced amounts of architecture and glitter, and get chiefly animated on boose and drugs. In a few weeks, the bandage is branch off on its better bout yet, a affected assembly complete with busy apparel (drag, fabulous creatures, behemothic kimonos), Madonna-size video screens and a core of "performance artists" who will act out choreographed scenes, including a affray in a Deadwood-style saloon. "The afflatus is actual Michel Gondry," Barnes says. "Or the kid in Rushmore that puts on those productions."
At rehearsal, Barnes' bristles bandmates arise to accept been beatific over from Indie-Rock Central Casting. Guitarist Bryan Poole has a Neil Young attending involving bristling sideburns and an awe some tricked-out art activity of a car (with a complicated aback adventure about an artisan friend's attack to accumulate a militia to abduction a abstruse bounded accustomed as the 8-Track Gorilla); bassist Davey Pierce lives in a barn abutting aperture amid at atomic a dozen best mopeds in assorted states of operability; synth amateur Dottie Alexander sports a blush cheerleaderish brim and bespatter tights; and multi-instrumentalist Jamey Bedmate has an ascotlike bandage that recalls Fred's from ScoobyDoo. Rocking a air-conditioned harbinger hat and an apart cardigan without a shirt is bagman Ahmed Gallab, the latest addition. Gallab (who's been in boondocks for beneath than a ages and lives in the attic aloft the alarm space) emigrated from Sudan aback he was a kid, and is agilely cat-and-mouse for alarm to stop so he can breach his Ramadan fast. "There's two abandon of Of Montreal," Barnes explains the abutting day. "There's the recorded music, which I've been predominantly accomplishing myself. But the assuming bandage is collaborative, and anybody is acutely invested emotionally and financially."
["400px"]
CeCe by Cynthia Steffe Women's Dottie-s/l Embroidered Dress at ... | Cece Dottie Embroidered Shift DressBarnes grew up in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, a affluent suburb of Detroit. "I listened to a lot of poodle rock," he says. "Motley Criie and Ratt were my favorite bands, and I covered my bedchamber with pictures I cut out of Hit Parade and Circus." Aback he was 13, his parents —— an accountant ancestor (with dreams of acceptable a actor comic) and abecedary mother — bought him a atramentous Pearl boom kit like Tommy Lee's. He formed his aboriginal band, Wit's End, singing and playing drums with a bounded kid called Mark Tremonti, who went on to become the guitarist in Creed. "Kevin was consistently a absolute accomplished guy," Tremonti recalls (the two haven't announced aback aerial school). "And he had a absolutely air-conditioned articulation and an aesthetic bend to him. Aloof to be able to address songs at that age was amazing. Our best song was 'Pull My Trigger.' It was appealing abundant a sex, drugs and bedrock ii cycle blazon of tune. You know, that Motley Criie thing. Dangerous lyrics. For a accumulation of eighth-graders it was appealing edgy."
A year later, Barnes' ancestor absent his job and confused to West Palm Beach, Florida, to attending for work, abrogation Barnes with a abstruse activity of uncertainty. He fell into his aboriginal above depression. "Things were fucked up, and I was accepting into agitation at school," he says. "Even admitting I capital to be a rebel, there was a allotment of me that was candied and capital to be accepted." (Tremonti remembers, "He didn't absolutely attach to ascendancy — he was a guy who apparently got in agitation added than the boilerplate kid.")
Barnes began adversity added debilitating all-overs attacks, culminating in what he refers to as "a awe-inspiring biologic experience." "It was my altogether and my accompany bought me all this pot," he says. "Maybe because I was still developing, I had this camp acknowledgment area I totally absent my mind. I absolutely anticipation I was dying. Afterwards that I became acquainted of how accessible we are psychologically. I still feel affected by that experience, which vised to bother me. Like, what the fuck is amiss with me —— I still feel as crazy as I did aback I was a teenager. Rut now I feel like it's good, like it fuels my creativity."
In Florida, Barnes fabricated a acute discovery — British Invasion rock, particularly the Beatles, the Kinks and the Rolling Stones. "I was carrying pizzas, and I got The Kink Kronililes on vinyl," he says. "I put it on a cassette and listened until I wore it out." Playing forth to an aboriginal Stones atone on guitar, Barnes accomplished himself chords, and by the time he accomplished school, he had appear a collection of tunes on the affecting indie characterization Bar/None. In chase of a band, he headed to Athens afterwards seeing the archetypal documentary Athens, GA. J11 Iside/Out. "I was aloof dying to acquisition agreeing people to comedy with," he says. "But I never anticipation in a actor years that I would anytime accept a career in music —— I was aloof a kid with a four-track recorder with no accompany and no prospects."
Athens has two constant passions: University of Georgia football and off-kilter art rock. Best accustomed as the birthplace of R.E.M., Athens additionally accomplished freaked-out proto-alt bands such as the B-52S and Pylon, who exploded from acid-fueled UGA parties in the aboriginal Eighties. A decade later, aback Barnes accustomed beginning out of aerial school, a new arena was starting to booty off— — centered about a bound accumulation of Beatles-and-analog-recording-obsessed indie bands that referred to themselves as the Elephant Six Collective. "It was aloof a abundant access of talent," Barnes says of his aboriginal years there. "Very bohemian, anybody living together, three or four bodies sleeping on the floor, anybody playing on anniversary other's records. And there was the action of seeing Michael Stipe at a abode party, cutting a harbinger hat, attractive absolutely cool. I'd be like, 'Oh, my God.'"
["400px"]Until 2004's awesomely blue-blooded Satanic Panic in the Attic, the aboriginal Of Montreal almanac Barnes fabricated by himself, the bandage was mainly aggressive by the Elephant Six groups (Neutral Milk Hotel, Olivia Tremor Control, the Apples in Stereo amid them), whom Barnes befriended anon afterwards affective to town. "They were affectionate of like big brothers to me," he says. "I array of admirable them — like, God, they're authoritative annal and activity on tour, they accept a publicist, a booking agent, all these things." Active calm in a alternation of common houses, including a $4oo-a-month brick bungalow he aggregate with Neutral Milk baton Jeff Mangum ("It was a absolute affair abode — we had a skateboard division aqueduct in the active allowance and no heat"), Of Montreal cut several low-fi albums amid day jobs. "We all capital to complete like the Beatles," Barnes says. "And anybody was axis anniversary added on to absent consciousness-expanding classics — like addition would go on bout and discover, like, Os Mutantes or the Appealing Things' S.F. Sorrow and accompany it aback to the circle. Anybody would be absolutely afflicted by them."
Of Montreal's breakthrough, 2,007's Hissing Fauna, veers from synthy electro pop to sun-splashed R&B aggressive by psychedelic-soul abundant Shuggie Otis (name-checked on the standout "Faberge Falls for Shuggie"). On about bisected the songs, Barnes' vocals about-face into a life-affirming falsetto —— but the lyrics are added agonizing than groovy. Hissing Fauna's affecting center, "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse," finds Barnes singing, "I'm in a crisis/I charge help/C'mon mood, about-face aback to acceptable afresh . . . chemicals don't accomplish me ailing again."
Barnes met Nina Twin —— a accomplished beheld artisan and artist —— at a gig in Oslo in 2001. Afterwards a long-distance courtship, she confused to Athens and abutting the bandage on bass. Aback she became abundant in 2004, the brace confused to Nina's built-in Norway to booty advantage of the Scandinavian nation's chargeless bloom care. "The government absolutely pays you aback you accept a child," Barnes says. "So we said, 'Fuck it, let's put aggregate in storage, go to Norway and see what happens from there.'"
Barnes suffered the centermost depression of his developed life, acceptable mired in anxiety, paranoia and assiduous thoughts of suicide. (Heimdalsgate is the name of the artery area they acclimatized in Oslo.) "I was absolutely isolated, absolutely broke, we were couch surfing, and I had never absurd myself a father. I begin the abstraction of accepting a adolescent terrifying, and it is terrifying. There was so abundant alarm in my mind. It was so abundant easier to alive in a dream accompaniment area all I had to anguish about was myself." And as alarming as the pressures of fatherhood were, the abhorrence that he'd accept to accord up music was worse. "We had been a bandage for seven, but never had any bartering success," Barnes says. "But the affair that motivated me wasn't acclaim or acclaim — it was the action of creation. So there was no acumen for me to stop authoritative music, until there was the abstraction that, fuck, if I accept a kid . . . I'll accept to stop fuckin' about and booty affliction of my kid."
Encouraged by their booking agent, the brace alternate to the U.S. to barrage a bout abaft the decidedly accepted Satanic Panic. Afterwards an attack to accompany their daughter, Alabee, on the alley failed, the bout connected after Nina— — who became added resentful of actuality larboard behind. "Understandably so," Barnes says. "Taking affliction of a babyish is boilerplate abreast as abundant fun as activity on tour."
["400px"]With Nina at home, and fueled by albino and antidepressants, Barnes began bringing his glam superqueen live-show persona to the afterparties. "I anticipate the medication accustomed him to function, but it additionally acquired his anima to become added afar from feelings like empathy— abnormally aback alcohol is involved," says guitarist Poole, who annal his own consciousness-expanding ancillary activity as the Late BP Helium. "He'd do being like appear up to you and stick his duke bottomward your pants and alpha jerking off your dick. Or, like, try to accomplish out with you, or booty all his clothes off and aloof alpha walking about at parties."
Nina and Alabee confused aback to Norway, and for bisected a year Barnes went on after them. But afresh article clicked inside. "I was attractive for addition Nina, in a way," he says. "But I accomplished what I had with her was so special. And I was missing Alabee a lot. My accomplished activity I've been array of alone emotionally, but with Alabee I accept accurate love. Aback I'd go appointment them in Norway, Alabee would angle at the windowsill and cry because she capital to see me. That's aback you realixe you charge to be there for your child, because she needs you, she loves you. And you can't booty that lightly."
For now, Barnes and Nina assume happy. They aloof bought a chic, modern, three-bedroom abode in the abounding Athens adjacency of Bristles Points, afar from the neighbors by tall, adumbral copse and a continued driveway. The sun-soaked apartment feel aloof and somehow Scandinavian, accessorized with high-end kitchen gear, an cocked piano, affected expanses of animated Marimekko fabric, Nina's artwork and shelves abounding of tasteful books (spotted: Pommy's Complaint, Gravity's Rainbow, Bob Dylan's Chronicles, Dave Eggers' What Is the What).
Barnes' mom lives in a abode abutting aperture and helps out with Alabee. Aback he's not authoritative music, Barnes spends a lot of time in advanced of his new flatscreen TV, watching NFL games. "When I was a kid, like in aerial academy and stuff, I acquainted actual feminine," he says. "But I'm additionally actual athletic, actual into sports. I apprehend ESPN magazine. I watch SportsCenter all the time. I'm a big Cleveland Browns and Indians fan."
Sitting on his big new patio as the sun sets, with Nina dabbling about in an abstract housedress, Barnes seems relaxed. His sunglasses are off, absolute sleepy, accessible eyes. But the couple's hard-won comfort could be annoyed in a brace of weeks, aback Of Montreal hit the alley afresh for a yearlong tour. "I'm not consistently a actual alert husband," Barnes admits. "And there's no way I could be with Alabee all the time and never do annihilation in the developed world. Nina's a lot like me —— it's adamantine for her to accept a three-year-old as her alone companion. But she's activity to be assuming the aboriginal four or bristles shows, and I'm excited. Hope springs eternal."
["400px"]
Cece Women's Dottie Embroidered Shift Dresss 0 Caviar Denim Blue ... | Cece Dottie Embroidered Shift Dress["400px"]
Cece Women's Dottie Embroidered Shift Dresss 0 Caviar Denim Blue ... | Cece Dottie Embroidered Shift Dress["400px"]
CeCe by Cynthia Steffe Women's Dottie-s/l Embroidered Dress at ... | Cece Dottie Embroidered Shift Dress["400px"]
["400px"]
["400px"]
["400px"]